My phone is stolen help needed

Hi friends my nokia6600 phone was stolen yesterday and I want to deactivate the phone using imei but the service provider is saying that they are not capable to do so is there any other way to deactivate the set so the person gets it will not be able to misuse the same even to open it or the data,another thing I have blocked the sim so is it possible that the data in the sim can be obtained through any device after blocking?is it possible to locate the phone when it is switched off? please help its urgent...

sinip

Super Moderator
Your service provider SHOULD be able to block usage of the phone based on IMEI. Another thing is that IMEI can be changed without much problems, using appropriate equipment.
There is nothing else you can do to deactivate the phone, unless there's some backdoor in the software, but even if there is some, you'll not be able to do it on your own, and your government intelligence agency will most probably not bother. :)
As far as the SIM card is not locked, all and every data on it can be accessed.
In theory phone can be located using mobile towers triangulation, when on, and if you're "high enough" (see above) probably when offline as well. But YOU can't do it.

hadg33

Forget about the phone,Nokia6600 is a small symbian phone, all those features that you talked about the phone does not have it. If the phone has password,I think your datas are safe.

sinip said:
Your service provider SHOULD be able to block usage of the phone based on IMEI. Another thing is that IMEI can be changed without much problems, using appropriate equipment.
There is nothing else you can do to deactivate the phone, unless there's some backdoor in the software, but even if there is some, you'll not be able to do it on your own, and your government intelligence agency will most probably not bother. :)
As far as the SIM card is not locked, all and every data on it can be accessed.
In theory phone can be located using mobile towers triangulation, when on, and if you're "high enough" (see above) probably when offline as well. But YOU can't do it.
Thanks a lot, I went to the service provider and fortunately they have blocked the sim but said they are not able to deactivate the phone using imei and I have learned searching the net that even imei number can be changed..its very frustrating now i am worried if after blocking of the sim any data related to the sim can be traced or recovered my the thief.if any software available that can deactivate the phone remotely using imei will be of much help..thanks again.

hadg33 said:
Forget about the phone,Nokia6600 is a small symbian phone, all those features that you talked about the phone does not have it. If the phone has password,I think your datas are safe.
Thanks no the phone has no password, I am worried about all the contact nos saved in the phonebook and sim so wish to deactivate the phone using imei as soon as possible, if it is possible using any software through my laptop.

sinip

Super Moderator
investor999 said:
Thanks a lot, I went to the service provider and fortunately they have blocked the sim but said they are not able to deactivate the phone using imei and I have learned searching the net that even imei number can be changed..its very frustrating now i am worried if after blocking of the sim any data related to the sim can be traced or recovered my the thief.if any software available that can deactivate the phone remotely using imei will be of much help..thanks again.
Of course that it is not possible to deactivate (shut off) a phone via IMEI. Only thing is service provider can block the SIM and the phone from accessing the network. As far as the data in the phone is concerned, I'mm affraid that you can't do anything to prevent a thief from accessing it, nor you can shut off the phone yourself.

My phone snatched, I was locked that phone with appropriate passwords.. After that I locked it from Particular company of my mobile.So, now it can be opened from any person.. Or my data would be check?

hadg33

Rob4678 said:
My phone snatched, I was locked that phone with appropriate passwords.. After that I locked it from Particular company of my mobile.So, now it can be opened from any person.. Or my data would be check?
Since you said you locked the phone,the snatcher would not be able to access your data,according to what you posted,if the phone was locked from a company,that means the snatcher would not be able to use the phone at all but if it is not blocked from the company,he/she would be able to use it.

I am still held up with only the sim block as the service provider is asking for fir copy for more help with the theft I mean loss of phone and as it is common with my country police they will not lodge a fir without pressurized by leaders,officers seniors govt or money or a major crime like murder burgelary has happened its hopeless with the police so I am thinking about getting my sim unblocked and get a new sim saying it missed somewhere...