Free Webhosting vs shared web hosting

Hi all,
I want to know the benefits and drawbacks of both free web hosting and shared web hosting. Soon i am deciding to make a blog so should i choose shared web hosting or free one.
i need to know that how much traffic a shared web hosting could handle, please mention daily page views and daily unique visitors handle by shared web hosting according to your experience.
According to my search a shared web hosting could handle 10,000-20,000 unique visitors, is that true?
Also which is the best shared web hosting company/package?
thanks!

sinip

Super Moderator
Free web hosting is ALSO shared. :) So there's no difference in that matter. Of course, if you pay you can expect better service/features than from free hosting. When it comes to shared hosting I recommend www.stablehost.com Very affordable and very very good. If you decide to go with them I can send you my referral link. :) Number of visitors doesn't matter much. What matters is how fast your site loads and how much resources it uses. When it comes to visitors what matters is how many simultaneous visitors you expect.

For me the biggest drawback of free web hosting is the fact that you cannot be guaranteed 100% uptime which is very important for any website.

sinip

Super Moderator
FYI, noone can guarantee 100% uptime. 99.999% is pretty damn good though, but for 100% I suppose you'd pay some serious money and even then I doubt that anyone would guarantee 100%.

Free web hosting is ALSO shared. So there's no difference in that matter. Of course, if you pay you can expect better service/features than from free hosting. When it comes to shared hosting I recommend www.stablehost.com Very affordable and very very good. If you decide to go with them I can send you my referral link. Number of visitors doesn't matter much. What matters is how fast your site loads and how much resources it uses. When it comes to visitors what matters is how many simultaneous visitors you expect.
Please can you tell me if i could transfer from "shared web hosting" to "Dedicated Server based hosting" later on, without loosing any site traffic or visitors? Because i think if i shift from free webhosting to shared one i will loose all site traffic and back links.

sinip

Super Moderator
As long as the domain stays the same, and the structure of the site stays the same, you will NOT lose anything just because you move your site from one host to another, regardless if you move it from free to paid hosting or from paid shared to paid dedicated one. If the domain changes of course you will lose both traffic and backlinks unless you redirect every single old format links to the new format links. For instance if you had your site like http://example.hostone.com and move it to http://example.hosttwo.com you WILL lose mentioned things.

oedhapost

Super Moderator
muddasar70 said:
Hi all,
I want to know the benefits and drawbacks of both free web hosting and shared web hosting.
due to my own experience, free web hosting is easy to be blocked/suspended
it will be different if we can pay for a host no matter it's shared, vps or dedicated
muddasar70 said:
i need to know that how much traffic a shared web hosting could handle, ...
here, in my country it depend on what package that we took
( of course how much can we afford to pay for it )

Free web hosting is easy to got lol, but what you pay is what you got. Based on my experience shared webhosting is better than free hosting, since this shared one is the paid hosting, but not all free webhosting is really bad for you, there are some of them are good also.

for u shared hosting with 2 gb and 10 to 20 gb bandwith will be enoungh.u dont need a dedicated server.even many of the pro bloggers with thousands of visitors a day use shared hosting.
Find some reputable hosting company if u want to start a wordpress blog.
U can also start with blogger as it is free and u can use your own top level domain and their servers are very good.
If u start with blogger with ur own domain u can migrate to self hosted wordpress later which do not lose any traffic.

sinip

Super Moderator
Actually there will be a loss of traffic because URL structure in the Blogger and Wordpress blogs is not the same. So you'd have to 301-redirecty EVERYTHING if you don't want a loss of traffic and/or backlinks.

@insa80: so what do you prefer shared one(which some of them paid one) or the free one? For me if my site really need a good traffic for sure i will go to paid and shared one, only after it got nice more traffic i will upgrade to VPS.

I would suggest free hosting for beginners because you don't have much knowledge about seo and promotion. After You gain knowledge you can convert free hosting to shared hosting.

There are a lot of limitation for free one, it is even give you more disadvantages compared to shared/paid hosting. But for learner i think that is fine, until to certain extent. After that change to shared hosting for better performance.

Select a good hosting provider and then work on that and when you have good visitors. Blogging and getting visitors is not easy work. you have to do hard work.

Shared web hosting.
This is generally the most economical option for hosting, as many people share the overall cost of server maintenance comes down.

But if one server hacked or attacked then your website also has some problem with it. This is the reason why i think it is not good for a big site especially for online shopping site to use Shared Hosting even it is economical..

another thing is free hosting is bad for site seo because their servers go down alot.and now a days everyone can efford a shared hosting.
I pay only $22 per year for quality web hosting.